Sunday, September 30, 2012

Friesland

Day 17: September 30, 2012
Another great day off!Toda Corry went to Friesland with Guusje and Luca for her Beppe's bithday and I came along for the drive. Corry dropped me off at the Van Velde home- their daughter Lisanne lived with my parents for several months last year as part of an exchange program They had a Canadian flag hanging outside their home for me! How sweet

It was around 11:00 when I arrived so we right away had filtered coffee (finally!) and tompouce- a typical Dutch cake. The brittleness of the pastry makes it almost impossible to eat with a fork, so the way to eat this cake is to remove the top frosted layer of the pastry and hold it in one hand, while eating the bottom half with a fork.
For lunch we had dutch soup, ham, bread with salmon dip, filet americain. Lisanne, her sister, her mom and I then went for a very nice bike ride around their village.
 
In the Netherlands they typically eat one warm meal a day, since we had our warm meal in the afternoon, we had sandwiches at dinner time. Lisanne and her sister dropped me off back with Corry and we headed back to Capelle. Arrived home around 9:30pm so I could skype with Curtis then head to bed. Fun day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment