Saturday, October 6, 2012

My Canadian Connections

 
Day 23: Saturday, October 6, 2012
So the au pair agency that I went through, Travel Active, provided me with a list of all of the other au pairs in the Netherlands and their email addresses. Out of all the au pairs, there was only one other Canadian! Katrina Raney from Brantford, Ontario. We started talking first on facebook, she also has a boyfriend back home and has also been here since September. We decided to meet today in Amsterdam to tour around.
At 8:50am I left for Amsterdam in the pouring rain. Corry and Bart said it would take me an hour to get to Amsterdam, but I didn't arrive until 11:00am! I felt so bad, and ran around the station trying to find her. The station is huge, with lots of entrances, and finally we found eachother via cell phone. We walked around Amsterdam for hours- what an amazing city!!

Luckily the rain stopped, so touring around was a lot of fun. We then met up with another Canadian that I met online- Paige Campell. He is also a coordinator of a Canadian Meetup group online, and has been in Holland for over a year. He gave us a more formal tour of the city and we decided to check out the Nemo Science center- super cool! It even happened to be free entrance today, even better!
The science center is so huge - you can even sit up on the roof of it and enjoy a spectacular view.
We also went to the Red Light District. Before I came to Amsterdam, I was naive and thought the whole city revolved around it lol. Actually it was quite the walk to get there, and during the day appeared to be just like any other street. Until you start walking down it and looking inside the windows. You see nasty looking girls/ladies sitting mostly naked on stools and texting.
 
 
All in all a fantastic day- it was so great connecting with other Canadians! I can't wait to come back. Afterwards I took the train back home and skyped with Pa:)

No comments:

Post a Comment